Formal period of employment starts 1st of December 2013; exact timing will be subject to negotiations.Qualifications for a successful candidate will include:
* A PhD (or equivalent experience) with a strong academic background in Arctic studies relevant to the sustainable development of social - and ecological in the Arctic regions.
* The ability to stimulate academic cooperation and exchange of ideas between the Icelandic and Norwegian academic milieus, in the field of Arctic studies.
* Experience in working across disciplines with complex human-environmental - social issues.
* Research experience relating to the Arctic.
* Participation in international research networks as well as a proven ability to obtain research grants.
* Strong communicative and social/interpersonal skills.
Primary responsibilities will be:
* to contribute to research, teaching and further development of relevant programs at the University of Akureyri
* to work closely with other researchers in furthering the Arctic research and teaching milieu at the University of Akureyri and contribute to the development of the University of the Arctic
* to give public lectures on Arctic issues in local, national and international fora and to participate in the contemporary debate on changes in the Arctic
The level of compensation will be in line with the prevailing salaries for professors at Icelandic state universities. Further information about the post and the application process can be obtained from the University of Akureyri website http://english.unak.is/about/page/vacancies