Each session will be organized by up to three conveners (i.e. those that submit the session proposal). The organizers encourage a high degree of internationality for the convener boards. At least one convener should be a member of the Permafrost Young Researchers Network (PYRN). PYRN conveners are students or young researchers within six years after completion of their doctoral thesis, however, they must not be students or formally under the supervision of the senior conveners of the according session. PYRN will find a suitable candidate, if a session was proposed without involvement of PYRN conveners. The conveners will be responsible for the selection of abstracts and for the organization of oral or poster presentations.
The following themes denote the diversity of research to be presented at the conference, but are by no means restrictive:
- Lowland permafrost
- Mountain permafrost
- Planetary permafrost
- Subsea permafrost and gas hydrates
- Periglacial geomorphology
- Periglacial paleoenvironments
- Permafrost and climate change
- Permafrost in the water cycle
- Ecology, microbiology, biogeochemistry, and gas fluxes
- Natural hazards: assessment, adaptation, and mitigation
- Foundation engineering and architecture
- Infrastructure on permafrost
- In-situ and remote observation techniques and programs
- Socioeconomic and cultural dynamics
- History of permafrost engineering and research
- Education and outreach
If key fields are not represented in the submitted list of session proposals, the ICOP Local Organizing Committee (LOC) and the International Scientific Committee (ISC) will suggest special sessions to cover all relevant topics.
By 30 May 2015, a decision will be presented on the acceptance of submitted sessions. The decision will be based on the inherent scientific interest and quality of the session proposal, the potential to attract participants, the thematic overlap and number of available slots at the conference.
The call for abstracts for the accepted sessions will open 1 August 2015 until 15 December 2015. After that date, depending on number of abstracts being submitted to each session, the LOC and the ISC may propose session joining or cancelling.
For more information on the conference and to submit your session proposal, see the conference website.