The Congress themes are:
- Vulnerability of Arctic Environments
- Vulnerability of Arctic Societies
- Local and traditional knowledge
- Building long-term human capacity
- New markets for the Arctic, including trade, tourism and transportation
These themes will be presented in keynote presentations and discussed in parallel sessions. Based on an open call, specific sessions have been selected by the UArctic Congress 2016 Scientific Program Committee chaired by Kari Laine, UArctic Vice-President Research.