The Department of Environmental and Business Economics was founded in 1998 and is thus a relatively new department at the University of Southern Denmark. The department is situated at the Esbjerg campus and falls under the Faculty of Business and Social Sciences.
The department offers research based education on bachelor, master and PhD-level within environmental and resource economics, business economics and management as well as sociology.
The department research is organised in 3 research groups of which 2 groups are of interest to research in the Arctic. The economic field focuses on microeconomic environmental, resource, and energy economics. In business economics, research is primarily taking place in the disciplines of marketing, organization/management and sports and event economics, as well as in project-oriented innovation processes and entrepreneurship linked to the Danish offshore activities, including both energy production and the maritime sector.
Specific focus areas for environmental and resource economics research include:
- Pollution and resource scarcity
- Theory of regulations
- Integrated modeling
- Ecosystem based management
- Risk analysis, risk management and risk communication
Specific focus areas of research in business economics are:
- Innovation and competence development
- Modelling and analysis of consumer and corporate behaviour with a particular focus on green energy and green products
- Experience economics with special emphasis on sports and event management
Specific focus areas of research in the Arctic are:
- Arctic Marine Resource Governance
- Invasive Species Management in the Arctic
- Economic Development in the Arctic Marine Environment
- Marketing of Tourism in the Arctic
More information on department activities relating to Arctic issues can be found at www.sdu.dk/arctic.
Facts and figures
|Total Number of Staff||50|
|Number of Academic Staff||30|
|Number of Students||1400|
Natural Resource Economics
Natural Resource Management
Spatial Marine Resource Management
Marine Resource Governance