Northern (Arctic) Federal University (NArFU) was established in June 2010 by merging a number of leading Arkhangelsk higher educational institutions. It includes 6 higher schools, 1 institute, 2 colleges and 2 branches providing educational services to over 19,000 students. Staff consists of over 1,600 lecturers. NArFU has more than 70 agreements of international cooperation with partner universities.
One of the major NArFU research focuses is the Arctic development. Core areas of NArFU academic focus are high technologies and knowledge-intensive sectors, infrastructure development and Northern Sea Route, natural resources management, environmental protection and climate change, health and well-being, social sphere and human resources in the High North.
As a federal university NArFU develops a system of higher professional education that will optimize regional educational structures and strengthen links between educational institutions and economic and social spheres in the North-West of Russia.
- Higher School of Social Sciences, Humanities and International Communication
- Higher School of Natural Sciences and Technologies
- Higher School of Information Technologies and Automated Systems
- Higher School of Economics, Management and Law
- Higher School of Engineering
- Higher School of Power Engineering, Oil and Gas
- Higher School of Psychology and Pedagogical Education
- Institute of Shipbuilding and Arctic Marine Engineering (Severodvinsk)
- Technological College of Emperor Peter I
- Technical College (branch in Severodvinsk)
- Koryazhma Branch
- Severodvinsk branch
Facts and figures
|Total Number of Staff||4165|
|Number of Academic Staff||1631|
|Number of Students||19000|
Building engineering in a cold climate environment