Arctic State Agrotechnological University (ASAU) is one of the largest higher education agricultural institutes in the North-East of Russia. The main goal of ASAU is to train a new type of specialists for the North and the Arctic, who will be able to implement high technologies, taking into account mentality, traditional way of life and cultural values of northern indigenous peoples.
The Academy has 5 faculties:
- Faculty of Agrotechnology
- Faculty of Timber Complex and Land Reallocation
- Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
- Engineering Faculty
- Faculty of Economics
In addition, there is a college of technologies and management, and a branch in the Oktyomtsy settlement.
There are 17 sub-faculties at ASAU, the Institute for Advanced Training in Agriculture, Research Institute of Veterinary Ecology, several LABs: the biologically active substances, immune-genetic, socio-economic problems of the village, economic-mathematical modelling, a Center of Technical Guarantee of Scientific and Teaching Processes, a scientific library, as well as experimental practical farms in the Oktyomtsy settlement. Students have practical training at the Yakut milk plant, poultry factory, Khatas agicultural enterprise, financial and agroindustrial corporations, municipal unitary enterprises of the Republic.
ASAU employs 147 teachers, most of the being Professors and Candidates of Sciences (Russian equivalent to PhD).
ASAU conducts scientific research in the following areas:
- Creating a new northern breeding sheep type through hybridization of domestic sheep and bighorn sheep. In 2013-2014 the Academy got the first generation hybrids
- Development of methods for storage and future use of wild cloven-hoofed animals’ genetic material
- Preservation of the aboriginal Yakut cattle gene pool (Bos taurus turanomongolicus)
- Revival of the Yakut hunting dogs - huskies
- Development of a measurement system for adaptation of imported high-yielding cattle
- Development of horses search system in the conditions of Yakutia. Employees of the Academy together with Finnish experts have developed a search system of horses herds on the basis of radio-frequency devices
- Study of the molecular and genetic characteristics of breeds and types of horses herds. An important aspect of genetic testing is to identify animals with various hereditary diseases and abnormalities that lead to a decrease in the productive qualities of farm animals
- Development and implementation of innovative technologies in the landscape design of green areas in towns and cities in the Far North
- Development of technology for year-round greenhouse vegetable and fodder production indoors and creation of frost-resistant varieties of plants
- Development of economic legal code of the northern settlements, constituted by special legal sections, such as Agricultural Circumpolar and Arctic Law
We also offer our future foreign colleagues to work in the following fields:
- Reindeer husbandry
The purpose of this industry is based on the assessment of the northern domestic reindeer breeds in territories of the Republic of Sakha (Yakutia) and on implementation of molecular and genetic methods in selective and breeding work for the enhancement of productive and breeding qualities of reindeers.
- Fruit and berry crops
The purpose of this industry is the development of wild-grown plants, berries and medical herbs manufacturing work, the studying of habitat and gathering of understudied berries and medical herbs that are not included in production of Russia.
- Geological information system
Establishment of the database on identification of condition of foddering base in reindeers’ pastures, quantitative and qualitative state of the livestock of reindeer herd, existence and proliferation of carnivorous animals that are able to harm reindeer herding in observed territories.
- Processing of agricultural production
The purpose of this industry is an enhancement and implementation of new technologies on processing of agricultural production – milk and meat, in order to improve production profitability of agricultural processing production of raw materials with holding of scientific researches on definition of optimal technological regimes for formation of consumer performance on finished products, experimental-industrial approbation of implement technologies, development, expertise, negotiation and approval of normative and technical documentation for production.
Facts and figures
|Total Number of Staff||370|
|Number of Academic Staff||147|
|Number of Students||4173|
Fruit and berry crops
Arctic food security
Development and implementation of digital technologies in agricultural industry
Processing of agricultural production
Selection and breeding of new types and breeds of agricultural animals
Creation of production of subliminated products based on renewable arctic bio-resources