Thule Institute coordinates Arctic issues in the University of Oulu with close cooperation with focus institutes and faculties. This includes implementing the Arctic Strategy of the University and coordinating multidisciplinary collaboration in Arctic research of all the focus areas of the University of Oulu. Thule Institute cooperates and works with national and international research and higher education institutes, Polar and Arctic networks, and organizations and in the Arctic Council working groups. This includes coordinating the University of Oulu’s participation in the Arctic Five collaboration and the Arctic Researchers’ Network. The Thule Institute is also closely connected to the University of the Arctic and it hosts the UArctic Thematic Networks Office.
The expertise of the Director of the Thule Institute should relate to the University of Oulu’s focus areas and its faculties. Applicants with strong research expertise in the Arctic context combined with a strong track record in external funding and international networks are preferred.
About the job
With this announcement, University of Oulu invites applications for a full-time Director´s position at the Thule Institute. In case of applicants highly accomplished in Arctic research, the Director´s position may include a part-time professorship. The newly appointed Director, working together both locally with the other members of staff and students and internationally with other universities and research organisations in the field, will be responsible for coordinating the new Arctic Strategy of the University of Oulu.
The position is designed to encourage the active involvement of scientists and academics in Arctic research, to engage in fundraising and building an external funding portfolio, and to strengthen international capacity and cooperation in Arctic research. The successful applicant will also be expected to develop interdisciplinary collaboration and cooperation with the other subject areas within the other faculties of Oulu University, and with other research institutes and universities both in Finland and abroad.
What is offered?
- The support of an experienced and enthusiastic team where you can share your expertise and grow as an expert.
- Wellness benefit ePassi covering sport, culture and well-being. Read more about other staff benefits.
- Work that matters and a workplace that promotes flexibility and work-life balance. Read more.
- If you are moving from abroad, the comprehensive relocation packages are offered to support your smooth relocation to Oulu.
- THE Buddy Programme and Spouse Network support you and close ones in settling into Oulu.
- Finland is one of the most livable countries in the world, with a high quality of life, safety, an excellent education system, and a competitive economy. Read more about living in Oulu.
Who are you?
- Doctoral degree and proven track record of successful scientific activity
- Leadership experience and inspiring attitude
- Insight into Thule Institute´s development and collaboration opportunities
- Fluency in Finnish and English
The position is fixed-term for 4 years as of 1.1.2024 or as soon as possible.
The salary will be based on levels 8-9 of the requirement level chart for teaching and research staff of Finnish universities. In addition, a salary component based on personal work performance will be paid (a maximum of 50 % of the job-specific component).
A trial period of 6 months is applied for the position.
How to apply?
Interested? If yes, please apply by 31.10.2023 (23:59 Finnish local time) through the recruitment system.
The application should be written in English and include the following attachments:
- Motivation letter
- List of publications
If you have any further questions, please contact:
Taina Pihlajaniemi, Professor, Vice Rector (research)