The goal of the Thematic Network on Arctic Lingua is to exchange knowledge on the best practices in teaching and research of Arctic indigenous peoples’ languages, folklore and culture and to establish a comprehensive cooperation with world leading scientific and educational institutions interested in conducting research for revitalization of endangered languages of the Arctic.
The network will develop endangered languages and indigenous peoples’ culture of the North, research issues on maintenance of endangered languages, folklore, literature and culture and preserve the intangible and material heritage of indigenous peoples of the North.
- February 7, 2019, a scientific seminar “Linguistic Ecology” was held at the “ARCTIC LINGUA” thematic network at the Department of Northern Philology of the Institute of Languages and Cultures of the Peoples of the Northeast. The scientific seminar was prepared by students of the Department of Northern Philology in the form of a presentation with a video interview about outstanding scientists, representatives of the small indigenous minorities of the North. The participants of the seminar, students of the Department of Interpretation and Translation, Faculty of Philology and Institute of Languages and Cultures of the Peoples of the Northeast Russian Federation NEFU were awarded certificates;
- All-Russian research and practical conference "III Robbek’s Readings" dedicated to the International Year of Indigenous Languages of the World, March 20, 2019. The main goal of the conference is to bring together scientific communities and societal efforts in research, preservation and development of endangered languages and unique cultures of Indigenous peoples of the North and Arctic;
- The holding of a Round Table "Traditions and Cultural Heritage of the Peoples of the North", March 21, Yakutsk;
- International seminar “Cultural heritage and linguistic diversity of the peoples of the North and the Arctic” the village of Berezovka, Srednekolymsky ulus Republic of Sakha (Yakutia), April 10 - 14, 2019. Lecturers: Lenore Grenoble professor at the University of Chicago; Vinokurova A.A., candidate of Philological Sciences, head of the Department of Northern Philology, IYAKN Northeast Russian Federation;
- Republican Scientific and Practical seminar “Language and culture of Luoravellanes (Chukchi): present and future”, April 26, 2019, Yakutsk;
- Republican scientific-practical conference “Preserve the Culture – Preserve the Nation”, August 5, 2019;
- Republican scientific-practical conference “Dutkin’s Readings”, December 17, Yakutsk;
- All-Russian scientific-practical conference “III Lebedev’s Readings”, December 20-21, the village of Orto Doydu;
- Seminar “Linguistic Ecology: teaching the Even language and literature in the conditions for realization of the GEF”, Yakutsk.
- Meeting of the All-Russian Linguistic Advisory Council for the Even language. Council members: Institute for Linguistic Studies RAS, Herzen State Pedagogical University of Russia, Institute for Humanities Research and Indigenous Studies of the North (Siberian branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences), Institutions of the Republic of Sakha (Yakutia), Magadansky, Kamchatsky and Khabarovsky regions, Chukotsky Autonomous region, April;
- Online conference on minority languages, folklore, literature and culture of the peoples of the North Constellation of languages and cultures of Indigenous peoples of Arctic: present and future (Russia, Norway, Canada, Alaska USA);
- Publication of study guides, dictionaries for Even language, folklore and literature;
- Organization of the International festival on culture of the peoples of the North Rainbow above Arctic in collaboration with the State Theater of the Peoples of the North, Republic of Sakha (Yakutia);
- Organization of the Research Student Conference Lebedev’s Readings: Research of Languages, Folklore and Culture of Indigenous Peoples in Arctic. The conference is biennial and dedicated to Vasily Lebedev, the first Even scientist, dialectologist, folklorist, pioneer of Even literature. The conference is mainly focused on research of authentic culture of Indigenous peoples of the North, preservation of endangered languages of Indigenous peoples of the north, in attracting young researchers to scientific and pedagogical activities in the fields of ethnolinguistic, ethno pedagogy, ethno psychology, ethnography, ethnologists of northern peoples, and in bringing together efforts, practical exchange in research of languages and culture of endangered Indigenous peoples of the North.
- Establishment of the International Ethno-Linguistic Center ARCTIC LINGUA at the Department for Northern Philology, North-Eastern Federal University;
- Organizing of All-Russian Scientific Conference Studying Languages, Folklore and Literature of Indigenous peoples of the North, Siberia and Far East of Russian Federation: Nowadays and Perspectives, dedicated to the 60th anniversary of Professor A. Petrov, Doctor of Phil. Sc. (in collaboration with Herzen State Pedagogical University of Russia).
- Current state and prospects for the study of languages, folklore and literature of the indigenous Peoples of the North, Siberia and the Far East of the Russian Federation [electronic resource]: collection of scientific papers / [Editorial: Vinokurova A.A., and etc.]. - Yakutsk: NEFU Publishing House, 2018. - 1 electron. opt. disk. – Russian Science Citation Index
- Lebedev’s Readings [electronic resource]: a collection of materials of the All-Russian student scientific conference / [Ed. Vinokurova A.A.]. - Yakutsk: NEFU Publishing House, 2019.
Workshop "Linguistic Ecology"
The workshop "Linguistic Ecology" has been held since 2017 (led by A. A. Nakhodkina, A. A. Vinokurov). One of the most important tasks of the thematic network is the study and dissemination of the principles of linguistic ecology, which in the present case is aimed at the study, development and careful preservation of the languages of indigenous peoples of the North among the young students of the Republic of Sakha (Yakutia).
As an approbation of the concept of linguistic ecology, we have held the following cultural events: scientific workshop "Linguistic Ecology" (2018, 2019), prepared by the students of the Department of Northern Philology of North-Eastern Federal University in the form of a presentation about the culture of indigenous peoples of the North and reports about outstanding scientists, representatives of indigenous northern peoples with video interviews. The scientific work intends, first of all, to be included in the scientific process developed on the basis of the ethnocultural component. Respect for the native language, cultural traditions, and customs of its nation and strengthening of national identity.
In 2018, for the listeners (foreign students and masters from Sweden, Canada, Korea, and Switzerland) of the International Arctic Summer School "Neče" (rural locality Kuberganya, Abyysky District of the Republic of Sakha (Yakutia)) have been held practical classes in the Even language, master classes on making "mavut" a lasso of deerskin, “turki” Evens sledges, fishing rods made of local material and fishing chebak; on the technology of making souvenirs in the national colour; on the technology of preparing fish meal; on the technology of preparing dry-cured fish of omul and broad whitefish; on the technology of cooking "huduran", a traditional Even dish made from the internal fat of deer or elk; on the traditional dances of the Mayorsky Evens.
In 2019, in the traditional Even house "du"in Yakutsk was held a practical lesson about Even national clothing for students of the International Arctic Summer School from Korea, Germany, Japan, and Austria. These activities are aimed at introducing, spreading and preserving the material and spiritual culture of the Evens, which contribute to the maintenance of interest in ethnic cultural and spiritual values, as well as the food culture of the peoples of the North.