The goal of the Thematic Network on Arctic Lingua is to exchange knowledge on the best practices in teaching and research of Arctic indigenous peoples’ languages, folklore and culture and to establish a comprehensive cooperation with world leading scientific and educational institutions interested in conducting research for revitalization of endangered languages of the Arctic.
The network will develop endangered languages and indigenous peoples’ culture of the North, research issues on maintenance of endangered languages, folklore, literature and culture and preserve the intangible and material heritage of indigenous peoples of the North.
Current and Planned Activities
- Establishment of the International Ethno-Linguistic Center ARCTIC LINGUA at the Department for Northern Philology, North-Eastern Federal University;
- Organizing of All-Russian Scientific Conference Studying Languages, Folklore and Literature of Indigenous peoples of the North, Siberia and Far East of Russian Federation: Nowadays and Perspectives, dedicated to the 60th anniversary of Professor A. Petrov, Doctor of Phil. Sc. (in collaboration with Herzen State Pedagogical University of Russia);
- Meeting of the All-Russian Linguistic Advisory Council for the Even language. Council members: Institute for Linguistic Studies RAS, Herzen State Pedagogical University of Russia, Institute for Humanities Research and Indigenous Studies of the North (Siberian branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences), Institutions of the Republic of Sakha (Yakutia), Magadansky, Kamchatsky and Khabarovsky regions, Chukotsky Autonomous region, April;
- Online conference on minority languages, folklore, literature and culture of the peoples of the North Constellation of languages and cultures of Indigenous peoples of Arctic: present and future (Russia, Norway, Canada, Alaska USA);
- Publication of study guides, dictionaries for Even language, folklore and literature;
- Organization of the International festival on culture of the peoples of the North Rainbow above Arctic in collaboration with the State Theater of the Peoples of the North, Republic of Sakha (Yakutia);
- Organization of the Research Student Conference Lebedev’s Readings: Research of Languages, Folklore and Culture of Indigenous Peoples in Arctic. The conference is biennial and dedicated to Vasily Lebedev, the first Even scientist, dialectologist, folklorist, pioneer of Even literature. The conference is mainly focused on research of authentic culture of Indigenous peoples of the North, preservation of endangered languages of Indigenous peoples of the north, in attracting young researchers to scientific and pedagogical activities in the fields of ethnolinguistic, ethno pedagogy, ethno psychology, ethnography, ethnologists of northern peoples, and in bringing together efforts, practical exchange in research of languages and culture of endangered Indigenous peoples of the North.
- Biennial research and practical conference Robbek’s Readings. The main goal of the conference is to bring together scientific communities and societal efforts in research, preservation and development of endangered languages and unique cultures of Indigenous peoples of the North and Arctic;
- International online workshop on endangered languages, folklore and literature for teachers of native languages (Russia, Norway, Canada, Alaska USA).