The overall goal of Verdde - University Center for Mobility in Indigenous Education is to strengthen cooperation within UArctic in the field of teacher training, teaching of Indigenous minority languages and cultures.
- promoting cross-cultural professional development of educators through university approved certificates, diplomas and degrees;
- encouraging students, teachers, administrators, and university faculty to pursue improved teaching and learning practices through mutually recognized effective pedagogy;
- offering high quality cross-institutional instructional programs that include exchange opportunities in each of the partner sites aimed at increased cross-cultural understanding;
- exploring shared research interests among faculty and students from each of the institutions and international partners;
- assisting each other in the development of exemplary curriculum and assessment
- encouraging ongoing sharing of cultural resources and communication about
educational issues using the internet and other electronic systems and technology;
- promoting increased historical and contemporary understanding between and
among Indigenous people throughout the circumpolar world;
- facilitating national and international exchange of students, faculty, and researchers to foster collaborative study and research.
- Traditional individual exchanges such as for an entire semester.
- Non-traditional exchanges are required, such as the exchange of groups with shorter stays.
- during Verdde workshops in 2017-2018, we have developed a draft of a joint online course The land as source of learning - Indigenous Knowledge through Circumpolar Collaboration. It will be arranged and completed through one of the institutions LMS system. Within the course, the students will be using different kind of digital tools and programs.
- continue student and teacher exchange.
- development of exemplary curriculum and assessment strategies.
- From May 21 to May 25th, Verdde Network hosted a gathering Indigenous and land-based scholars from several circumpolar nations including Greenland, Canada, Alaska, Norway and Sweden. The gathering took place at Memorial University in St. John’s, in the Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador. We also conducted the Verdde annual meeting.
For more information on the Verdde program, see this interactive map.