On 12 June 2009, President Obama sent a memorandum to the heads of executive departments and federal agencies establishing an Interagency Ocean Policy Task Force, led by the White House Council on Environmental Quality (CEQ). The Task Force is charged with developing a recommendation for a national policy that ensures protection, maintenance, and restoration of oceans, coastlines, and the Great Lakes. It will also recommend a framework for improved stewardship and effective coastal and marine spatial planning.
- Nancy Sutley, White House Council on Environmental Quality Chair
- Dr. Jane Lubchenco, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Administrator
- David Hayes, Deputy Secretary of the Department of Interior
- Admiral Thad Allen, Coast Guard Commandant
- Heather Zichal, Deputy Assistant to the President on Energy and Climate Change
The public is encouraged to attend and an opportunity for public comment will be provided. Public comments can also be submitted online by clicking here.
For the full press release, please click here.
For more information, please contact:
Council on Environmental Quality
Meeting Announcement- Ocean Policy Task Force Public Meeting
Wed, Aug 12, 2009
The Interagency Ocean Policy Task Force announces its first Public Meeting, scheduled for Friday, 21 August 2009 in Anchorage, Alaska. The meeting will be held in the Dena'ina Civic and Convention Center, from 1:30 to 4:30 pm AKDT.