UArctic is searching for motivated and enthusiastic interns for the fall (2017) who are interested in Arctic matters and willing to acquire knowledge of the Northern region; its environment, people and culture. The internship will provide an environment in which the intern can develop, enhance professional working and communication skills, as well as expand networks for the future. UArctic offers a collaborative, inspiring, and international working environment in another Nordic country.
The University of the Arctic (UArctic) is a cooperative network of universities, colleges, research institutes and other organizations concerned with education and research in and about the North. UArctic promotes northern voices in the globalizing world, reflecting common values and interests across all eight Arctic states and among all northern peoples and cultures. UArctic promotes cultural diversity, language plurality and gender equality while highlighting the partnership between the region’s indigenous peoples and other northerners.
UArctic is launching a call for two intern positions:one at the UArctic International Secretariat in fall 2017 (at the University of Lapland, Rovaniemi, Finland), and one at the UArctic Research Liaison and Thematic Networks Office in fall 2017 (at the University of Oulu, Finland).The internship placements are supported by Danish Agency for Science and Higher Education.
The internship opportunity is open for students under UArctic's north2north member institutions in the Kingdom of Denmark:
Arctic Technology Centre - Technical University of Denmark
Copenhagen Business School
Department of Environmental and Business Economics - University of Southern Denmark
University of Copenhagen
University of the Faroe Islands
Successful candidates should have:
- excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- good computer skills
- experience in organizing and promoting events
- social skills for working in international and intercultural environment
- skills in photography are considered as an asset
- understanding and knowledge on Arctic issues
Educational background is not the first factor in selection procedure, however understanding of Arctic issues (human, social, and environment) and University of the Arctic are considered an asset.
Internship at UArctic Thematic Networks Office
Thule Institute (http://www.oulu.fi/thuleinstitute/)
University of Oulu
Environmental Sciences Building
90014 University of Oulu
- Thematic Networks Director Kirsi Latola (Kirsi.firstname.lastname@example.org)
Internship at Thematic Networks Office will be for 5 months (1.8-31.12.2017).
What are the planned tasks?
- Support the Thematic Networks and research liaison activities
- Assisting in conference/ seminar/ meeting arrangements and planning (e.g. organization of UArctic Congress in September 2018)
- Writing news stories about UArctic Thematic Networks and Research area related activities, updating Thematic Networks and Research area websites
- Assisting work in EU funded Arctic projects EU-PolarNet and INTERACT, with linkages to UArctic.
Internship at UArctic International Secretariat
UArctic International Secretariat
- Manager of International Projects: Pirkko Pulkkanen ( email@example.com)
The UArctic International Secretariat is seeking a well-motivated individual for an internship position for four months. (1.9-31.12. 2017)
What are the planned tasks?
- assisting with data analysis related to UArctic’s members and activities
- assisting with producing promotional materials for UArctic
- practical preparations of UArctic meetings and reports
- writing news stories about events and activities in the Arctic
- assisting with promoting UArctic, in particular related to Danish, Greenlandic and Faroese member institutions
- assisting with development of UArctic Community, and supporting communications with Student Ambassadors
When? What? How?
Internship period at UArctic International Secretariat for 4 months (1.9-31.12.2017),
and at the UArctic Thematic Networks Office for 5 months ( 1.8-31.12.2017).
The internship should support one’s studies at home institution.
Grant for the one internship: 1 466€/ month plus travelling will be covered.
Application deadline: May 31, 2017.
Required documents: Application and CV has to be sent to the UArctic International Secretariat firstname.lastname@example.org
Please indicate clearly, which position you are interested in applying.