The goal of the thematic network within urban planning in the Arctic region is holistic development in the Arctic region by focusing on new technologies (i.e. construction, energy, materials) and the ambition of local communities to preserve the unique cultural character and the environment of the high north.
Together with our partners, we develop communication between the research and technology providers and the user communities for knowledge sharing for all stakeholders for all development activities. The foundation of such knowledge sharing will be through joint educational activities in the participating universities in the different arctic regions. The topics span from technology and engineering to social and cultural considerations of the indigenous population for sustainable development in the Arctic. The TN develop educational for bachelor to doctoral and postdoctoral research programs for educating the next generation of engineers and policy makers, who will ensure preservation as well as the required development in the arctic region. Other stakeholders i.e. user communities, local governments, financial organizations will be part of outreach and dissemination activities.
- Develop interdisciplinary education material combining architectural design with engineering concepts of construction for sustainable urban development.
- Organize series of workshop/seminar for mutual learning involving academics, researchers, indigenous communities, municipalities and urban planners and industry.
- Arrange outreach activities through different channels, i.e., webpage, press articles, public lectures to different groups and schools.
- Research activities leading to developing various predictive and monitoring modelling tools for energy usage forecasting and maintenance models of various urban systems and services.
- Contribute in developing environment friendly systems for power generation, recreation, transport, and waste management to meet the local demand.
- Collaboration event, presentation: Urban Design Approach with Snow Simulation for Winter Cities, HU Day with Dalian University of Technology, 10th Anniversary Celebration of University Exchange: Research Section Meeting (Urban Planning), (Dec 17, 2021)
- Summer School, collaboration: “Architecture of Eco-Tourism Complexes in the Arctic: Opening “Terra Incognita”” co-hosted by SPbGASU and Hokkaido University Graduate School of Engineering, (July 5-16, 2021)
- Poster Session, Reflexive Urban Design for Cities with Severe Winter Climate, Digital Poster Session, MIRAI 2.0 R&I Week 2021(June 7, 2021)
- Session “Green Technologies for Sustainable Arctic” at UArctic Congress 15-18 May 2021.
- Meeting with MASU (Murmansk Arctic State University) in February 2021.
- International Conference “ARCTIC CITIES PLANNING AND DESIGN” 16 December 2020.
- Meeting with construction industry representatives in Northern Norway.
Current and Planned Activities
- Establish the webpage.
- Visit to Arkhangelsk (Northern Arctic Federal University) in June 2021.
- Visit to Yakutsk (North-Eastern Federal University) in June 2021.
- Seminar – Introducing new members of the network – autumn 2021.
- Workshop - follow-up on the conference ARCTIC CITIES PLANNING AND DESIGN, September-October 2021.
- Common university course in sustainable urban arctic development, end of 2022.
- Bi-annual seminar on various topics related to urban planning and design in the arctic region.
- Annual conference on arctic urban development.