- National and foreign policies in the Arctic
- Arctic shipping (Northwest Passage, Northern Sea Route, Transpolar Route)
- Non-Arctic states and the circumpolar north (China, Japan, Singapore, UK, France, Poland, Scotland);
- Indigenous political engagement;
- Arctic change and the environment;
- Governance in the circumpolar north, 25 years after Mikhaïl Gorbatchev’s historic Murmansk Speech;
The AY is the outcome of the Northern Research Forum (NRF) and the University of the Arctic Thematic Network (TN) on Geopolitics and Security. The Thematic Network also organizes the annual Calotte Academy (www.nrf.is) across Russia, Finland, Sweden and Norway.
We hope you will enjoy this Inaugural Edition of the AY. We invite you to share the AY2012 with your network. The call for papers for AY2013 is coming soon!
Lassi Heininen, Editor
Heather-Exner Pirot, Managing Editor
Joël Plouffe, Managing Editor
Arctic Yearbook website: www.arcticyearbook.com
Arctic Yearbook is on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Arcticyearbook