Topical issues related to Arctic Law include
- Outer continental shelf law in the Arctic Ocean
- Legal questions related to the opening Arctic seas
- Rights of Arctic indigenous peoples
- Biodiversity law
- Oil and gas related regulations
- Arctic Governance
- Philosophy of law in the Arctic
The Thematic Network includes the following sub-group:
Philosophy of law in the Arctic (Sub-Group Lead: Dr. Dawid Bunikowski, University of Eastern Finland)
- Building a network of Arctic legal experts.
- Research cooperation amongst the members of the thematic network.
- Cooperation with other thematic network in order to undertake multi-disciplinary research projects.
- Organizing seminars and conferences in order to disseminate Arctic legal questions to the wider audiences.
- Contribution in the development of legal education focusing on Arctic issues.
- Taking part in the preparation of joint funding applications along with other members and member institutions of the Thematic Network.
- Organizing seminars and conferences and in order to disseminate Arctic legal knowledge.
- Development of legal education programmes.
- Facilitating the preparation of joint funding applications.
- Pilot project for institutionalizing research-end user cooperation in societal security research (2019-2020). Visit the project webpage here.
- Societal Security collaboration in research and education (01.08.2019 → 31.12.2020). Visit the project webpage here.
- 10th International Congress of Arctic Social Sciences - ICASS X - 15-19 June 2021 Arkhangelsk:
- Thematic network on Arctic Law will held a panel session on “Food security in the Circumpolar region, challenges and solutions”
- The sub-group of the Thematic Network – the Philosophy of Law – will host a panel session titled “Man and Law in the Arctic: traditional, corporate, international and national life support regimes”
- Joint project on curriculum development for interdisciplinary Master’s program “STEP into Russian Arctic”
- Polar Law Symposium, https://2020polarlawsymposium.org/
- Current Developments in Arctic Law.
- Finnish-Japanese Arctic Studies Program, https://www.arcticcentre.org/EN/projects/finnish-japanese-arctic-studies
- Food (in)Security in the Arctic: Contribution of Traditional and Local Food to promote Food Security with Particular Reference to the European High North, https://www.arcticcentre.org/EN/projects/foodsecurity
- Arctic Law Summer School,12-18 July, 2020 in Arkhangelsk, Russia, joint organization with Northern (Arctic) Federal University
- Food (in)Security in the Arctic: The final project workshop, August 26-27, 2019, Rovaniemi
- Finnish-Japanese Summer School on Arctic Studies, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, Japan, July 26 - August 7, 2019
- Ice Law Project: This project seeks to investigate the potential for a legal framework that acknowledges the complex geophysical environment in the world’s frozen regions and explores the impact that an ice-sensitive legal system would have on topics ranging from the everyday activities of Arctic residents to the territorial foundations of the modern state.
- Polar Law Symposium
- Publication: Philosophy of Law in the Arctic (Bunikowski)
- Publication: Russian Laws on Indigenous Issues: Guarantees, Communities, Territories of Traditional Land Use: Translated and Commented (Zadorin, Klisheva, Vezhlivtseva and Antufieva 2017)