The overall goal of the UArctic Thematic Network is to provide knowledge that may mitigate the risk of accidents and major threats to life, environment values and communities. The network will emphasize the responsibility of the various actors in the Arctic, and raise safety awareness among both commercial players, local communities and governments. Secondly, we will contribute to emergency preparedness competence to increase emergency response capacities. Thirdly, the network has as a goal to contribute to international cooperation among the Arctic countries on these issues. The network will relate to international organizations and forums as well as representatives of the indigenous organizations of the Arctic.
The Thematic Network will:
- Facilitate research on commercial and other activity in the Arctic region and issues related to safety and security threats.
- Stimulate collaborative, cross-disciplinary research on safety, security and emergency management and preparedness.
- Facilitate integration of the research network into national and international research programs.
- Develop cooperation on the development and implementation of educational programs both for practitioners and academics, as well as training and exercise schemes aimed at safety and soft security.
- Create meeting places for knowledge sharing and innovations between the industry, the academia and the professionals within the preparedness system of the Arctic region.
- Stimulate cooperation on search and rescue, and protection of people, environment and society.
- Engage with international forums such as the Arctic Council’s Emergency Prevention, Preparedness and Response (EPPR) working group and the Arctic Coast Guard Forum.
- Provide opportunities for student exchange, practitioner mobility as well as faculty mobility among network partners, in order to strengthen knowledge exchange and research collaboration.
Current and Planned Activities
- Annual conference and seminars on emergency management and cross-border cooperation covering the participating countries.
- Establish Advisory Boards as meeting places for network members, industry and preparedness institutions of each country.
- Initiate and coordinate the international dissemination of knowledge on safety, security and emergency management through newsletters, journals and social media.
- Arrange joint master and PhD courses and facilitate student exchange programs.
- Link simulators and laboratories for integrated emergency management training.
- The Thematic Network have been working on development of the ARCSAR network and funding applications within the Horizon 2020 Security Society program under the leadership of the Joint Rescue Coordination Centre, Northern Norway. The goal of this network is to serve as a facilitator for meetings between the emergency response professionals, the industry and the academia.
- Representatives met during the 7th Marpart conference in Nuuk, Greenland, in August 2017 and discussed competence development within maritime safety and emergency preparedness in the Arctic.