The goal is to increase knowledge of communications system status and inform about new developments in the field related to the Arctic areas. The second goal is to collect user needs, problems and benefits related to connectivity from various fields.
The way of working includes
- maintain the list of useful information sites of both the goals
- link proposals to sites are more than welcome
- discussion and information sharing meetings (e.g., in UARCTIC events) within the network and between the networks
- news provided by members about/from various related events
- please send them to the chair
Please contact the chair if you like to join the network.
Useful information sites
- Harri Saarnisaari belongs to the Task Force on Improved Connectivity in the Arctic (TFICA) of the Arctic Council. The report will be published spring 2019. The report of the previous task force is here.
- Harri Saarnisaari is running a joint project between University of Oulu and Luleå University of Technology about Arctic Mobile Communications Architectures (AMCA) that will put results in the web page.
- Arctic Economic Council (AEC) has published in 2017 its report about Arctic broadband and organizes annual Top of the World Arctic Broadband Summit since 2016 (see the same page).
- 2019: June UARCTIC meeting
- 6G white papers 2020 have been published and can be found here. Especially related to this thematic group is the remote area WP.
- Research results concerning Arctic sea cables: “GEOGRAPHY OF THE GLOBAL SUBMARINE FIBEROPTIC CABLE NETWORK: THE CASE FOR ARCTIC OCEAN SOLUTIONS”, published in Geographical Review.
- Harri Saarnisaari participated the Senior Arctic Officers (SAO) meeting in Rovaniemi, March 2018, and presented the technology survey made in the AMCA project.
- Harri Saarnisaari participated “EUAPA – Addressing Arctic Connectivity Needs” workshop in Brussels, November 2018 that collected inputs from various sectors for future EU Arctic policy.