The internship will provide an environment in which the intern can develop, enhance professional working and communication skills, as well as expand networks for the future.
The University of the Arctic (UArctic) is a cooperative network of universities, colleges, research institutes and other organizations concerned with education and research in and about the North. Two intern positions are open for the fall 2023: one at the UArctic International Secretariat (at the University of Lapland, Rovaniemi, Finland), and one at the UArctic Thematic Networks and Research Liaison Office (at the University of Oulu, Finland). The internship placements are supported Danish Agency for Higher Education and Science.
The internship opportunity is open for students currently being enrolled or recent graduates (less than one year) under UArctic's north2north member institutions in the Kingdom of Denmark:
University of Southern Denmark
Technical University of Denmark
University College Copenhagen
University of the Faroe Islands
Ilisimatusarfik / University of Greenland
Perorsaanermik Ilinniarfik / College of Social Education
Greenland Institute of Natural Resources
Successful candidates should have:
- excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- good ICT and social media skills (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- experience in organizing and promoting events
- social skills for working in international and intercultural environment
- skills in photography are considered as an asset
- understanding and knowledge on Arctic issues
- ability to work independently, under leadership and with multiple tasks
Educational background is not the first factor in selection procedure, however understanding of the Arctic issues (human, social, and environment) and knowledge on University of the Arctic are considered an asset. Supervision and tutoring on the new techniques and skills will be provided by UArctic.
Internship at UArctic Thematic Networks Office:
Contact: Vice-President Networks Kirsi Latola
University of Oulu/Thule Institute
Environmental Sciences Building
90014 University of Oulu
What are the planned tasks?
- Support the Thematic Networks and research liaison activities
- Assisting in conference/ seminar/ meeting arrangements
- Writing news stories about UArctic Thematic Networks and Research area related activities, including interviews for research highlights and stories,
- Updating Thematic Networks and Research area websites
- Assisting work in University of Oulu Arctic activities
Internship at UArctic International Secretariat:
Contact: Manager of International Projects Pirkko Pulkkanen (email@example.com)
UArctic International Secretariat
What are the planned tasks?
- Writing and posting news stories about events and activities from the UArctic network and around the Arctic
- Updating the UArctic website, especially UArctic member information and study offerings
- Maintaining our social media engagement, and events calendar
- Assisting with the collection and maintenance of UArctic activity and member reporting data
- Assisting in promoting UArctic, in particular related to Danish, Greenlandic and Faroese member institutions
- Helping with practical preparations of UArctic meetings and reports
When? What? How?
The internship period is 4 months (September - December). Applicant is responsible of finding housing independently during the internship placement and needs to have a valid travel insurance for the duration of internship. Salary for each internship: 1 466€/ month plus 500€ will be given to travelling expenses.
How to apply?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a short description of yourself and why you would like to become an intern at either one of UArctic offices by May 31, 2023. Please indicate clearly which position you are interested in applying. We will be in touch with applicants in early June and organize online free form interviews with applicants, after which the final decisions are made. Decisions will be communicated by the mid-June.