This network will strengthen knowledge on gendered nature of ageing in the Arctic, ageism, inequality in decision-making and the meaning of traditional knowledge for the resilience of the local and Arctic communities. This group is interested in learning about the manifestation of changes in the Arctic in relation to age, gender, ethnicity and indigeneity.
The goal of the Thematic Network on Ageing and Gender in the Arctic is to build a knowledge base on ageing and gender research in the Arctic context. To strengthen the existing network as part of the UArctic Thematic Network at having undertaken efforts to carry out following activities:
- Research cooperation amongst the members of the thematic network.
- Cooperation with other thematic networks in order to undertake multi-disciplinary research projects.
- Organizing, and attending at, seminars and conferences in order to disseminate results produced by the members of the network.
- Contribution in curricula development in teaching and education with focus on aging and gender in the Arctic and research exchange/mobility.
- Taking part in the preparation of joint funding application along with other members both within and beyond network.
- Promoting institutional linkages in research and education on aging and gender.
- Organizing guest lectures at the institutions involved within the network.
- August 2020: A get-together meeting as part of the ESA Ageing in Europe midterm conference, Jyväskylä, Finland.
- October / November 2020: First meeting of the network for preparing for specific task and concrete plan for example, for funding application/research mobility plan at the University of Lapland.
- Spring 2021: Virtual meetings to discuss possible activities to undertake and possible sources for funding.
- Autumn 2021: Possible funding application to NCM; NordForsk; Academy of Finland; Research Council of Norway; European Union etc.