This network will strengthen knowledge on gendered nature of ageing in the Arctic, ageism, inequality in decision-making and the meaning of traditional knowledge for the resilience of the local and Arctic communities. This group is interested in learning about the manifestation of changes in the Arctic in relation to age, gender, ethnicity and indigeneity.
The goal of the Thematic Network on Ageing and Gender in the Arctic is to build a knowledge base on ageing and gender research in the Arctic context. To strengthen the existing network as part of the UArctic Thematic Network at having undertaken efforts to carry out following activities:
- Research cooperation amongst the members of the thematic network.
- Cooperation with other thematic networks in order to undertake multi-disciplinary research projects.
- Organizing, and attending at, seminars and conferences in order to disseminate results produced by the members of the network.
- Contribution in curricula development in teaching and education with focus on aging and gender in the Arctic and research exchange/mobility.
- Taking part in the preparation of joint funding application along with other members both within and beyond network.
- Promoting institutional linkages in research and education on aging and gender.
- Organizing guest lectures at the institutions involved within the network.
- Forthcoming conference presentation by lead “Gender equality at the University of Lapland”, November 12-13.2020, at the Gender Studies Conference in Tampere, Finland.
- Forthcoming presentation by TN lead: “The future of Feminist Pedagogy”, November 11.2020, online, organized by the Gender Studies Network Hilma.
- First virtual meeting regarding “AGE-Arctic” project under Ageing & Gender in the Arctic TN, 18th November 2020.
- Seminar of HARVEST project, 25th November 2020.
- Several virtual network meetings occurred and planned, 2020-2021.
- Several presentations as part of UArctic Thematic Network at ESA Ageing in Europe midterm conference 2020, thematic session Jyväskylä, Finland, 20 - 22 January 2021.
- Virtual meetings to discuss possible activities to undertake and possible sources for funding, spring 2021.
- Possible funding application to NCM; in STN/SA strategic research funding application; NordForsk; Academy of Finland; Research Council of Norway; European Union etc., autumn 2021.