Topical issues related to Arctic Law include
- Outer continental shelf law in the Arctic Ocean
- Legal questions related to the opening Arctic seas
- Rights of Arctic indigenous peoples
- Biodiversity law
- Oil and gas related regulations
- Arctic Governance
- Philosophy of law in the Arctic
The Thematic Network includes the following sub-group:
Philosophy of law in the Arctic (Sub-Group Lead: Dr. Dawid Bunikowski, University of Eastern Finland)
- Building a network of Arctic legal experts.
- Research cooperation amongst the members of the thematic network.
- Cooperation with other thematic network in order to undertake multi-disciplinary research projects.
- Organizing seminars and conferences in order to disseminate Arctic legal questions to the wider audiences.
- Contribution in the development of legal education focusing on Arctic issues.
- Taking part in the preparation of joint funding applications along with other members and member institutions of the Thematic Network.
- Organizing seminars and conferences and in order to disseminate Arctic legal knowledge.
- Development of legal education programmes.
- Facilitating the preparation of joint funding applications.
- Joint project on curriculum development for interdisciplinary Master’s program “STEP into Russian Arctic”
- Polar Law Symposium, http://www.conferences.com.au/2019-polarlaw/
- Finnish-Japanese Arctic Studies Program, https://www.arcticcentre.org/EN/projects/finnish-japanese-arctic-studies
- Food (in)Security in the Arctic: Contribution of Traditional and Local Food to promote Food Security with Particular Reference to the European High North, https://www.arcticcentre.org/EN/projects/foodsecurity
- Open Call for Papers: Current Developments in Arctic Law, Vol. 6 (2018)
- The Current Developments in Arctic Law. Vol 5 (2017)
- Ice Law Project: This project seeks to investigate the potential for a legal framework that acknowledges the complex geophysical environment in the world’s frozen regions and explores the impact that an ice-sensitive legal system would have on topics ranging from the everyday activities of Arctic residents to the territorial foundations of the modern state.
- Polar Law Symposium
- Read more about developments in Arctic Law: 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Publication: Philosophy of Law in the Arctic (Bunikowski)
- Publication: Russian Laws on Indigenous Issues: Guarantees, Communities, Territories of Traditional Land Use: Translated and Commented (Zadorin, Klisheva, Vezhlivtseva and Antufieva 2017)