- To enhance occupational health and safety (OHS) of people working in the north
- To enhance work ability and productivity in the extreme conditions.
- To support sustainable development of workplaces in the changing climatic conditions
- To support development of models and tools for workplaces in arctic to facilitate adaptive capacity and resilience
- To enhance implementation of systemic Human Factors (HF) approach to traditional OHS field
- To find a balance between sustainable, cost-effective and profitable professional activities of people working in the extreme Arctic conditions
- To bring to the table discussion of maritime and labor law issues in reference to the occupational health in the extreme Arctic conditions
- To find solutions for workers mental and physical health
- Meetings along with UArctic conferences. Organized session on UArctic conference
- Joint interdisciplinary meetings to enhance cooperation in the Arctic
- Dissemination of research studies (eg., dissertations) which are related to workers and Arctic conditions (health and safety issues)
- Arrangement of summer schools for students and young scientists
- Information dissemination (blogs, websites, forums, chat rooms, etc.) on stress management, psychological protection from stress and "polar night depression" for people working in the High North.
Current and Planned Activities
- Arctic Five network on Occupational health and safety was established in 2022.
- Topics of interest in this network are 1) The impact of climate and weather on outdoor workers’ performance, health, and safety, including mitigative and adaptive strategies, 2) Health and performance concerns of working in the mining industry and 3) Development of models/tools for workplaces to facilitate adaptive capacity/resilience as well as development of information and learning material with regards to various health hazards/problems encountered in the Arctic.
- Arctic Frontiers 2023 Moving North: 30. Jan – 2. Feb, Tromsø, Norway. TN participates in session organization: Occupational health and safety in the Arctic.
- Meeting of Arctic Five network and Arcum (Arctic Centre at UMU) Oct 7-8 Umeå, Sweden
- UArctic Congress 2024. TN will organize a session.