New multidisciplinary collaboration groups on topics such as, aging, demographic change, gender issues, research ethics, social issues related to urbanization (alcohol and drug abuse, mental health), marginalization, and violence are being outlined with the partners.
The goal of the Thematic Network on Health and Well-being in the Arctic is to support sustainable development on health and well-being in populations in the circumpolar regions. The network aims to do so by
- promoting research projects and education on health;
- organizing research training;
- distributing scientific information.
The network will base its research and higher education activities on the contemporary needs and priorities of the circumpolar regions and aims to promote a multidisciplinary approach to improve social circumstances for the populations, both in regard to health and well-being as well as delivery of health care and social services in the Arctic.
As a result of the international collaboration in master's education a new PhD program was established in 2013 on Arctic Health. Rapid changes and transformation of the Arctic societies requires collaboration in different fields of research and integration of experts, who understands the complexity and need for a multidisciplinary approach in solving the current and future social problems of the Circumpolar North. The PhD program in Arctic Health contributes to this interdisciplinarity, offering specialization on issues related to health and well-being in the Arctic and teaching special courses as well as summer and winter schools.
- Summer/winter schools and workshops can be seen here
- International research projects can be seen here
- Working groups and programs can be seen here
Current and Planned Activities
- One Health - One Future conference 2020, 11-14 March, University of Alaska Fairbanks, Fairbanks.
- PhD Course in conjunction with Nunamed X "Community based health research – methods and strategies", 2nd - 7th October, 2019, Nuuk, Greenland
- Nunamed X – Movement in Health, 05 – 07 October Nuuk, Greenland, Deadline for submission of abstracts: 15th August, 2019
- One Arctic – One Health Conference 2019, 07-09 February, Oulu, Finland, Deadline for submission of abstracts: 15th December, 2018
- Facilitate research visits and exchanges
- DWG AHHEG, Finnish co-chairmanship 2017-2019
- Collaboration with other UArctic Thematic Networks such as the Working in the Arctic network and the Northern Nursing Education.
- ICCH17, 12-15 August 2018, Copenhagen, Denmark
- Summer course in Arctic Health, 12-15 August 2018, Copenhagen, Denmark
- PhD course, 26-30 June 2018, Nuuk, Greenland
- Summer School on Arctic Health, August 2017 at the University of Copenhagen
- Participated in the organization of ICASS IX, June, 2017, Umeå, Sweden. Theme on Health & Well-being.
- Organised of a PhD course in connection with the ICASS IX, June 2017, Umeå, Sweden
- Collaborative Arctic Summer School in Epidemiology (CASE), June 2017, Arkhangelsk, Russia
- Master's program in Health and Well-being in the Circumpolar Area, 2009-2017, at the University of Oulu