New multidisciplinary collaboration groups on topics such as, aging, demographic change, gender issues, research ethics, social issues related to urbanization (alcohol and drug abuse, mental health), marginalization, and violence are being outlined with the partners.
The goal of the Thematic Network on Health and Well-being in the Arctic is to support sustainable development on health and well-being in populations in the circumpolar regions. The network aims to do so by
- promoting research projects and education on health;
- organizing research training;
- distributing scientific information.
The network will base its research and higher education activities on the contemporary needs and priorities of the circumpolar regions and aims to promote a multidisciplinary approach to improve social circumstances for the populations, both in regard to health and well-being as well as delivery of health care and social services in the Arctic.
The Master's program in Health and Well-being in the Circumpolar Area is an international joint effort. The program was established in 2005 and aimed to implement a program that could offer special knowledge of themes connected to health and well-being in the Circumpolar Regions. The program started at the University of Oulu in 2009, and has since had three intakes, resulting in 15 graduated Masters. The program is endorsed by the UArctic.
As a result of the international collaboration in master's education a new PhD program was established in 2013 on Arctic Health. Rapid changes and transformation of the Arctic societies requires collaboration in different fields of research and integration of experts, who understands the complexity and need for a multidisciplinary approach in solving the current and future social problems of the Circumpolar North. The PhD program in Arctic Health contributes to this interdisciplinarity, offering specialization on issues related to health and well-being in the Arctic and teaching special courses as well as summer and winter schools.
- Summer/winter schools and workshops can be seen here
- International research projects can be seen here
- Working groups and programs can be seen here
Current and Planned Activities
- Organization of a PhD course, autumn 2017, Nuuk, Greenland
- Facilitate research visits and exchanges
- Planning of ICCH17, August 2018, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- SDWG AHHEG, Finnish co-chairmanship 2017-2019
- Collaboration with other UArctic Thematic Networks such as the Working in the Arctic network and the Northern Nursing Education.
- Summer School on Arctic Health, August 2017 at the University of Copenhagen
- Participated in the organization of ICASS IX, June, 2017, Umeå, Sweden. Theme on Health & Well-being.
- Organised of a PhD course in connection with the ICASS IX, June 2017, Umeå, Sweden
- Collaborative Arctic Summer School in Epidemiology (CASE), June 2017, Arkhangelsk, Russia